The Mehta family is located near Shimla and it has being practicing Homa Farming for 4 years. In this area, in the Himalayan Mountains, mainly apples, peaches and since some years also mangos are being cultivated. The Mehta family has fruit trees: mangoes, apples, plums, peaches, lychees, cherries, etc. and also various kinds of vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, beans, peas, tomatoes, eggplants, chilies, herbs, etc.
Here are some of the results they have observed with Homa farming:
• All the fruits and vegetables have a better quality and exceptional taste.
• The peaches have an extraordinary size and the foreign buyer remarked that he had never eaten such good peaches anywhere before.
• Since the diseases and pests are controlled by Homa farming techniques, their harvest has increased compared to their neighbors´.
• It was very remarkable that the year, where there were hardly apples growing in the whole area, the Mehta family received almost the same amount of harvest as usual.
• The mango trees of the neighbors suffered from the cold of some freezing nights while his mango trees did not show any damages.
• People say that they are practicing on their farm the “Homa magic”.
(photos show in order from left to right the area in the Himalayas where the Mehta family’s farm is, Mr. Sushi Mehta doing Tryambakam, the Agnihotra hut, a lychee tree and mango tree on their farm)
Reiner and Manuela Szcypior
report from Shimla, Himachal Pradesh